A review about the Samoa Bureau of Statistics
The Bureau of Statistics has a mandate to support statistical activities and services in Samoa.
In this role SBS can sometimes help in practical aspects of the design and carrying out of statistical activities, and provide information about best practise and international standards for statistics.
If you are involved in the development or use of statistics about Samoa, contact the Bureau. Advice can be given in areas including:
- Questionnaire design
- Survey design
- Sample selection for household surveys
- Maps of sampled areas
- Recruitment and management of interviewers
- Advice on processing data
- Training on statistical analysis and report writing
- Standard classifications and methods for Samoa
Using samples of households from the Bureau’s GIS household survey frame helps to manage the survey burden on Samoa’s small population.
Contact SBS for more information.
The Strategy for the Development of Samoa acknowledged this with the re-establishment of the Samoa Bureau of Statistics and in its strategic area "Develop a sound framework for statistics and other data for sound governance in the public administration sector".
The Samoa Bureau of Statistics is proud to present the Samoa Strategy for the Development of Statistics 2011 - 2021. This strategy represents the result of a large amount of work across all sectors of the Samoan economy to develop a strategy that will enable all statistical producers to better meet the needs of the users of statistics. There are two key layers to the strategy:
1. Delivering relevant, quality priority statistics for users
2. Ensuring the strategic factors and environment are in place to enable efficient production and delivery of those statistics.
With increasing technology the focus for statistical producers is more and more on the efficient dissemination of the information - making statistics easy to find, easy to use and understand. This strategy includes a significant focus on dissemination and aims to put Samoan statistics at the forefront of the Pacific region.
For more information, click the link below to download:
Institutional Strengthening Project
The Samoa Bureau of Statistics is currently undergoing an Institutional Strengthening Project.
The Project goal, purpose and objectives are:
GOAL: Strengthen the capacity of the Samoa Bureau of Statistics (SBS) to provide high quality statistics to enable the private and public sectors in Samoa to formulate evidence based policies to undertake economic, social and business planning
PURPOSE: To ensure that the SBS, as the national centre of expertise in official statistics, is efficiently and effectively producing and disseminating high quality statistics and playing a strategic role in the coordination of official statistics in Samoa and the region.
The Project has four main components:
Component 1: Organisational Management – to strengthen the management capacity of the SBS and its systems in the areas of strategic planning, human resource management & development; work programming, budgeting and records management
Component 2: Statistical Services – to strengthen the capacity of the technical divisions in the SBS to provide key statistical services in the areas of macro-economic, social and socio-economic and socio-demographic statistics; and in the use of specific program and tools such as the HouseholdSurvey Capability Program (HSCP) and the National Census and in the development of effective and appropriate dissemination practice and processes.
This component fcuses on four areas:
- Sub-component 2.1: Economic Statistics – to develop a coherent set of macro-economic statistics and to extend statistical activities to provide new information required by clients and delivered in a timely manner
- Sub-component 2.2: Social Statistics – to develop a strong analytical capacity for social, socio-economic and socio-demographic data and to further develop the HSCP
- Sub-component 2.3: Births, Deaths & Marriages – to improve completeness and timeliness of registration of vital events; and to develop appropriate records management and archiving processes
- Sub-component 2.4: Statistics Dissemination – to develop a strong and clear approach to the dissemination of Samoa’s statistical data to national and regional clients and stakeholders
Component 3: Statistics IT Systems and Processes – to develop a reliable, up-to-date and resilient IT system to support the operations of the SBS, including the website and GIS
Component 4: Project Management – to ensure that inputs from the PSIF and other Government of Samoa sources are effectively and efficiently managed and that the project component objectives are met.
Samoa National Statistics System Policy on Dissemination of Statistics
The Statistics Act 1971 provides the Bureau of Statistics with a mandate for ensuring statistics are widely available and with the legal basis for statistical dissemination.
The Samoa Strategy for Development of Statistics provides the strategic direction for the dissemination of statistics (see Attachment One).
Please click the link below to access SBS Dissemination Policy: